By Gene and
Most homeowners are interested in making age proofing improvements to their home whether they know it or not. That’s because at some time a family member faces a disability or injury and realizes that getting around their home is not easy when you’re impaired.
Today many Boomers are concerned about staying in place and in control of their lives and they want to remain where they live. At the same time many adult children want to help their older parents stay put. They’re all interested in making changes to create a home that is safe, comfortable and convenient to live in for the long haul in a familiar home and neighborhood that will span their lives.
These age in place changes to a home can be transformative and make it more user-friendly to move about and perform household tasks. Whether they’re as simple as getting rid of throw rugs or making extensive structural modifications, changes can improve a home for everyone who lives there.
Details make the difference in a home that's accessible and convenient to live in so consider these suggestions that will enhance your home and make it comfortable to get around and a safe place for everyone who lives there.
Click on these Links to Articles and Information about Aging in Place
Click on these Links to Websites Worth a Visit
- Simple Solutions to Age Proofing a Home 8 easy changes to make to a home.
- Rightsizing Your Home Consider how big or small your house should be.
- Age Friendly Room Checklist Use this list to see if your home is age friendly.
- Job Costs for Age Proofing Projects Find the cost of 19 upgrades and replacements.
- Lighting a Family Friendly Home What's the correct amount of lighting in a room?
- Tips and Hints to Age Proof a Home Do simple things to make a home better.
- Genworth Age Suit Watch this 4 minute video of how vision, hearing and mobility will change as you get older. Consider these effects when planning to age proof a home for yourself or your parents.
- AARP's HomeFit Guide Resources to read, download, order (for free) or print to make a home a lifelong home
- Age In Place National Aging In Place Council
- My Safe Home Home Safety Council
- Lighting Your Home American Lighting Assn
- Safe and Accessible Bathroom American Standard